Wednesday, November 16, 2016

An Amateur Perspective





The 5th Series Starts Today: Still Work to Do in the Jitters Management Department

-An Amateur Competitor's Perspective

By: Jamie Woodson #68

Whether running a business or running a national, everyone needs a strategic plan. Right? RIGHT! Important wisdom. We need a plan at every weekend trial, but it's absolutely critical when we step up to the line in a National.

Since my first series reflections were interrupted with laughter and a steaming pile of dog poo, I thought I would approach the second series with a little more strategic focus while maintaining my "enjoy this moment and don't take yourself too seriously" kind of mindset.

I woke up a little early Monday morning and decided to start the day by going over Coach Ray Voigt's list of pregame reminders in my head:

-Know when the gun changes are so you can go see the line and can time it properly for yourself.

-Be prepared but don't get rushed! The Marshal may yell for you. Be prompt but don't get rattled. Stay calm!

-Remember to take a deep breath. So much is going on and your are going to go too fast if you forget to slow down. Remember - deep breaths. Slow down. Don't get off your normal routine.

-Rest when you can and get plenty of sleep.

-Think through and talk through the test even if it's just an exercise to calm yourself.

-Relax as much as you can and enjoy it. You have worked hard. You have earned it. A lot of people tried very hard to get here with great dogs. Enjoy this. Go slow.

-This is something new for 2016 - Take advantage of Pat Burns' tent. The Elite Retriever Training tent will have film of the test dogs and aerial shots of the sites. This can be very helpful for all competitors as you consider strategy for approaching each test.

-Last but not least - Don't be nervous,  this is much to serious to screw up!

The last one Always makes me laugh!

This list plus a reminder to be thankful, be calm, and enjoy really helped me through a very challenging second series triple. If you saw Pat's drawing of it and the Retriever News coverage of it, then you know it was very challenging.

Of course, I had all morning before running the second series so I had lots of time to think, strategize, and plan before I walked to the line.

Fast forward to yesterday morning when we all stood waiting for call backs to the combined third/fourth series immediately prior to the test dogs running the land/water blinds. In only a few moments, I heard the wonderful sound of the marshal announcing that #68 and #90 were called back and walked with the rest of the anxious competitors to view the test dogs. With the rotation, I was the fourth to run and needed to hustle to get back with my dog, Keeper. I had about 20 minutes before stepping up to run my dog.

Needless to say, the awesome notions on Ray's thoughtful list floated away and in their place was a set of jitters that surprised even me. I had a plan but I will confess that it didn't include shaking hands and labored breathing! I was so nervous! When Keeper picked up the second blind, I still had shaking hands, but I could finally breathe!

What a weird and wonderful feeling to be 44 years old and have that much adrenaline and excitement running through your body. 

What a sport!

Retriever News posted callbacks late last night and I am thrilled that Keeper #68 and Baby #90 have been invited back to run the 5th Series.

Today will bring more new and exciting moments for all of us, but I am glad I am getting an opportunity to keep moving forward and continue working on jitters management!

Best of luck to all today! May the wind be in your favor and your flyers be friendly!

-Jamie Woodson #68