Friday, November 18, 2016

An Amateur Competitor Perspective

In the Department Store of Life - This is the Toy Section!

-An Amateur Competitor's Perspective

By: Jamie Woodson #68

"In the Department Store of Life - This is the Toy Section!"

This was the parting comment from my wise friend Pat Burns as I left Granny Lou's B & B at 5:30a.m. this morning to compete in my FIRST EVER 8th Series in a National Open! And boy, is he right! This truly is the toy section.

With incredible dogs, dedicated competitors, and so many hard working volunteers - the retriever field trial sport is really something special.

Instead of getting tense, Pat's advice for the rest of the field trial is this is really the time to let it go, relax, and enjoy. "If someone told you a week ago that you would be going to the 8th series in a National Open without a handle, you would be ecstatic! Now is the time to be ecstatic! No matter what happens from here, it can't be bad! You are here! Enjoy it."

As Bill and I listen to one of Knute Rockne's legendary pregame speeches on the drive over, that's exactly what I'm going to try to do. I'm excited, nervous (in a good way) and supremely thankful.

I will confess it's a little bitter sweet, a lot of great dogs and great handlers aren't here at all or didn't make it this far. My friend and fellow amateur competitor, Lydia Fekula #16, was dropped after 7 challenging series. She and her dog, Rocky, are an incredible team. They have one TWO opens wins this year and are consistently successful in the Amateur stakes.

We saw callbacks on Retriever News together. Lydia showed me, once again, what grace and good sportsmanship really look like in practice. Her immediate reaction was to look me squarely in the eyes, hug me and say, "Congratulations, It' all good! Truly! It's all good!" And, I know she meant it.

Bill and I are pinching ourselves to still have our two dogs Keeper #68 and Baby #90 in the competition. Pat and Lydia are right; even if something goes wrong, it's all good.

Keeper is the 11th running dog this morning, so we will have a new first in a few short hours - Running an 8th Series in a National!

I'm about to take her for a relaxing walk to loosen up (me as much as her) and then we will probably watch a few Caddyshack clips and pre-game speeches on YouTube.

This really is the toy section and I'm going to enjoy it!

Good luck to everyone today. May the wind be in your favor and your flyers be friendly.

-Jamie Woodson #68