Friday, November 18, 2016

Jamie Woodson #68 Handled - An Amateur Perspective

Mentally Handling a Handle in the 8th Series
-An Amateur Competitor's Perspective 

By: Jamie Woodson #68

While I didn't know exactly what the judges would bring us in the Eighth Series of the National Open, I expected a challenging and fair test, likely a quad with one - maybe two -  flyers. Well, that's exactly what we got!  With a 25 mph wind and 35-40mph gusts, the dogs and handlers have their hands full. 

It's a great test.

Keeper was loose (in a good way) and relaxed. Shockingly, so was I. Our pregame routines have been a helpful and fun way to manage the jitters. I felt like she watched her birds well. For a big quad with two flyers, that was going to be important. 

Like many dogs have done today, she ran past the short retired and opted instead for the long retired. This was not, in and of itself, the end of the world. She had picked up all three birds except the short retired and I knew it was going to be a trick to get her comfortable going back into the short retired comfortably. As much as I easied, coaxed, and used my best persuasive techniques, it was not to be. She took a wide line and when I felt that she would need my help to get the bird, but wasn't in a spot that would be too deep a hole to handle out of, I decided to handle her to the short retired. 

If you were wondering, this was not my plan going into the test.😩 

But, as with many things in life, we have to make split second decisions and adjust our best made plans when need be. Sometimes it works out well or even better. And, sometimes it doesn't work out. 

What's crazy is that all this wonderful advice and wisdom I have received about being thankful just to be here, it actually took. All I could think as she returned with her last bird was how supremely thankful I am for this special dog - my companion for almost 10 years. She has been one of my greatest teachers. She got me here. I'm so proud of her.

As I walked off line, I saw Gwen Jones' beautiful smiling face. She is like a ray of sunshine every time I run, even if she and I both know things didn't go quite according to plan. I also noticed some pretty awesome handlers in line right behind me in the holding blinds on deck to run. Folks you know or have heard of: Wayne Curtis, Kenny Trott, Luann Pleasant, and Dave Opseth. 

All I could think was how lucky I am to habe had this experience. 

Yep, all that good advice from Dennis, Lydia, Pat, Bill, and countless others has sunken in my thick head. Today is a day to be ecstatic to be here - a day to be thankful. 

Also, our young dog, Baby #90, had a clean run and we really couldn't be more proud of how she's holding together. 

As you may recall, Pat Burns told me this morning that no matter what happens today, it's going to be a great day.  He was right!

We have about three or so dogs left to run this series. The judges have a great deal of information and we will all look forward to seeing the callbacks to the 9th Series. No matter what the results, it's been a great day, a great week, and an incredible year!

Until then, may the wind be in your favor and your flyers be friendly.

Jamie Woodson #68